31
Jul

Z-Note: Southwestern Energy – Strong Production, Good Cost Control, & A Potential Acceleration In The Shale

Print Friendly

(SWN) reported $0.28 vs consensus of $0.29. Revenues were light as well but production was above the midpoint of guidance. So first we have a slight top line miss based on price. Second, cash operating costs were better than expected but the DD&A rate was just over the top end of guidance. This means the slight bottom line miss is at least a high quality one based on price and is more importantly, non cash in nature, which is a lot easier to forgive for an analysts than a miss based on volumes.

  • 2Q07 Production: 284,000 Mcfepd, towards the upper end of prior guidance of 274,700 to 285,700.
  • Fayetteville Shale gross production hit ~ 200,000 Mcfgpd as of July 28, up from 155,000 at the end of April.

fayetteville-prod-073107.jpg

Fayetteville Shale Is Moving From Science Project To Efficient Manufacturing Operation.

  • Net Production increased to 10.7 Bcf or 118 Mmcfgpd in the second quarter.
  • SWN has participated in 303 wells to date (246 horizontal) in 33 pilot areas.
  • Performance has varied from areas with initial production of 4+ Mmcfgpd to some with IPs below 1 Mmcfgpd. SWN plans to focus on the higher return areas for the remainder year drilling longer horizontal laterals and completing most wells with slickwater fracs which have proven to be most successful here after trying numerous combinations of stimulation.
  • Longer laterals cost more… Cost per well was up to $2.9 mm vs 2.6 in 1Q but laterals increased in length from 2,100 to 2,500 feet on average.
  •  …But they’re sinking them faster. Average drilling time fell to 18 days from 20.
  • …and the last 10 wells drilled had IPs averaging 2.6 Mmcfgpd with several >4.
  • …expect to participate in 400 wells. The combination of longer laterals and slickwater fracs concentrated on the sweet spots of the play could yield further upside to estimates.

Conventional Arkoma production continues to rally. 2Q production reached 6 Bcfe (66 Mmcfepd). Ranger anticline wells dipped 1Q to 2Q.

East  Texas Production Appears To Be Flattening Out. The final and for now largest wedge of SWN production has been sliding but the most recent quarter shows only a 1% decline quarter to quarter and they plan to accelerate rig activity in the second half here.
Guidance Unchanged. Production guidance remains unchanged from levels issued in the 1Q press release: 107 to 110 Bcfe (293 to 301 Mmcfepd), the mid point of which equates to 50% YoY growth.
Operating Costs Better Than Anticipated:

  • LOE/Mcfe was better than expected. Expected to average $0.82 to $0.87/Mcfe for the full year. Came in at $0.73, down a penny from 1Q levels. They maintained their LOE guidance.

This kind of says it all

swn-2q-loe.jpg

  • G&A / Mcfe was a touch high as the company continues to staff up quickly in the Fayetteville division.

Strong Hedge Position In Place For 2007 & 2008.

swn-hedge-073107.jpg

So in summary, you’re left with a company that just grew volumes by 13% sequentially and 57% YoY while coming in at the top end of the guidance range, beat cash operating cost guidance and has a strong chance of beating 2H07 volume guidance as it focuses on the sweet spots in the Fayetteville. Combine this with the fact that over 70% of expected gas volumes for 2007 and over 60% of 2008 (my conservative ballpark on volumes) are hedged at well over $7 per Mcf and the fact that the stock has been sliding with gas prices since its last conference call and you see just a few of the reasons why I like the name long term. We’ll save the massive (11Tcf) shale reserve potential reasoning for another day.

9 Responses to “Z-Note: Southwestern Energy – Strong Production, Good Cost Control, & A Potential Acceleration In The Shale”

  1. 1
    T-Tupp Says:

    what does LOE/Mcfe mean?

  2. 2
    zman Says:

    Evening Tupp,

    lease operating expense divided by thousand cubic foot equivalent.

    you’ll see it quoted on a units basis to compare periods and different company. Oilier companies will use per BOE (barrel of oil equivalent) instead.

    This is the major component of cost of goods sold. Basically the cost of operating the wells. gathering is sometimes included sometimes broken out. other cash costs are G&A and production taxes (severance and ad valorem taxes) which vary by state and country.

  3. 3
    lman Says:

    zman,

    i am a NFX guy who is looking for a pop.

    however, how do you see energy holding up to this general market fear? i get a sense that energy can break away and keep moving forward.

    overall, i am not concerned since globalization is probably most dominant.

  4. 4
    zman’s Energy Brain ~ oil, gas, stocks, etc… » Blog Archive » Wednesday’s Sub Prime Cha Cha, Much Ado About Things Not Energy Says:

    [...] Z-Note: Southwestern Energy – Strong Production, Good Cost Control, & A Potential Acceleration … [...]

  5. 5
    zman’s Energy Brain ~ oil, gas, stocks, etc… » Blog Archive » Wrap – Week Ended 08/03/07 (In progress) Says:

    [...] Z-Note: Southwestern Energy – Strong Production, Good Cost Control, & A Potential Acceleration … [...]

  6. 6
    zman’s Energy Brain ~ oil, gas, stocks, etc… » Blog Archive » Monday Mayhem? (in progress) Says:

    [...] great quarter. See what I mean. The halo effect couldn’t outweigh the market despite the fact that natural gas did little this [...]

  7. 7
    Bush Says:

    information

    about

    about

    about

    where get ?

    find more about
    where get ?

    information

    about

    information

    for more info click to

    for more info click to

    where get ?

    about

    find more about
    find more about
    for more info click to

    about

    about

    find more about

    I\’m love this great website. Many thanks guy

  8. 8
    Free Tax Guide Says:

    estate taxes

    Great blog! Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Taxes… at http://www.taxhandling.com/

  9. 9
    Free Tax Guide Says:

    online taxes

    Great blog! Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Taxes… at http://taxhandling.com/taxes/

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Zman’s Energy Brain ~ oil, gas, stocks, etc… is is proudly powered by Wordpress
Navigation Theme by GPS Gazette

s2Member®
Get Adobe Flash player
%d bloggers like this: